Do What You Love, Love What You Do


This time of the year, I find myself getting in a bit of a slump.  Student behavior seems to start to slip, lesson plans and grading need to be done, meetings suck up my precious time, and lots of other little things get in the way of joy.  The problem is not all of the little things or my students behavior, the problem is actually ME.  It's so easy to get caught up in all of the problems and  the overwhelming pile of work (and the cold and sometimes dreary weather doesn't help either!).  BUT those things are always there.  Nothing.Has.Changed.  Except my attitude.  Last week, I was in a super-slump of negativity but then I started thinking about the things I LIKE about my job.  Then I realized that I LOVE my job.  I really can't imagine doing anything else.  The joy of connecting with students, helping and watching them learn and grow, instilling a joy of learning, and actually making a difference in a young person's life - it really doesn't get any better than that.  It's my passion.  I love teaching.  Do what you love and love what you do.  Words to live by.  I changed my attitude by focusing on the positive and finding those small moments of joy every day - a hug from a student, that one tough cookie who finally smiles and picks up a pencil, a student's pride in doing well on a test, playing kickball at recess, spending the last 3 minutes of small group instruction just chatting about whatever they want to share with me and each other, a class dance to Uptown Funk at the end of the day..... When I put all of the small moments of joy together- it overwhelms all of the negatives.  There is joy, just open your eyes!  I love teaching.


No comments:

Post a Comment